Japanese Buddhist Statue Replicas | Who Is Isumu?
Isumu is a Japanese brand created by MORITA Inc. The brand’s focus is to recreate in our modern lives the traditional Buddhist statues which the Japanese culture has cherished so much. The brand logo “イSム” is a combination of the Japanese kanji character “仏” and the English word “Spirit,” which represents the brand’s goal to adopt the spirit of Buddhism into our modern lives.
Brand Concept VideoSee the Isumu's brand concept video below.
Photos Taken by Isumu's Customers in JapanTake a look at photos taken by Isumu's customers in Japan on Isumu's website page here.
How the Statues Are MadeIsumu’s Buddhist statues are made from polystone, a material that combines powdered limestone and synthetic resin. Polystone feels very close to a real stone, and is highly durable as long as you do not put it in harsh conditions such as outdoors, intense heat, and heavy moisture. It is perfect for Isumu’s statues, because the material allows the statues to present a solid look and delicate expression. The mixture rate of powdered limestone and synthetic resin is optimized for every statue part in order to ensure the durability of the statue is maximized.
- Prototype: This is a critical process that determines the very quality of the statues. The original model is created over a period of 2-5 months with intricate calculations and expertise in order to follow the design of the real statue as much as possible.
- Pieces Creation: Silicon is used during the process of creating the statue pieces. A high level of skill is required in this process of manual labor due to the delicate nature of silicon.
- Polishing and Putting Together the Pieces: Each statue piece is polished with extreme care. The pieces are then put together in a pre-calculated and pre-decided sequence, which ensures that the overall appearance of the statue is consistently of high quality.
- Coloring: This process requires a large amount of elaborate work. A great variety of materials, from pigments to gold leaves, are used to reproduce the history of the statue. Even among Isumu’s highly skilled craftsmen, only one is allowed to perform the task of coloring the eyes.
PackagingThe statues are securely packaged! The following is a picture of the packaging for Isumu's Standard series.
Because we are the official international distributor of Isumu, we collaborate with them meticulously, i.e., fine tuning the packaging specifically for international shipping, in some cases even having an entirely new packaging box designed, and conducting international-shipping tests to make sure the statues will not break. Like for all other products, we purchase insurance from the logistics provider upon shipping; this allows us to provide you with replacements or refunds, in the very unlikely event that the statues get damaged during delivery.
Product Series: S Class, Standard, TanaCocoro and TanaCocoro BronzeIsumu has the following product series:
- S Class: With "S" standing for "superior," this product line provides breathtaking aesthetics simply beyond imagination. It has an awesome size and presence in addition to the unbelievably precise depiction of the original statue. (Height: 500+ mm (20+ inches))
- Standard: Having being made with great precision and without any compromise, this product line adds a great feeling of extravagance to anywhere in your home. (Height: 300 - 460 mm (12 - 18 inches))
- TanaCocoro: This product line consists of high quality statues that are about the size of the palm of your hand (TanaCocoro means "the heart of the palm" in Japanese). This palm-sized scale makes the TanaCocoro series suitable for collection purposes. (Height: 100 - 200 mm (4 - 8 inches))
- TanaCocoro Bronze: Unlike other Buddhist statues from Isumu, polystone is not used for this product series, and is made in Japan using Takaoka bronze sculpting techniques. (Height: 100 - 200 mm (4 - 8 inches))